National Academy of Customs, Indirect Taxes & Narcotics or NACIN is the apex institute of Government of India for capacity building in the field of indirect taxation. It also plays a vital role in international capacity building by imparting training to officers of various countries in the field of customs, drug laws and environment protection. NACIN is the World Customs Organisation (WCO) Regional Training Centre (RTC) for Asia Pacific. United Nations Environment Program (UNEP) has designated NACIN as a collaboration centre for capacity building in the field of environment protection. In collaboration with United Nations Office on Drugs & Crime (UNODC), NACIN is imparting training on drug law enforcement to various Asian nations. The Government of India has entrusted NACIN the responsibility of knowledge exchange, experience sharing and training with various countries of the world.
Over the years, NACIN has been successfully conducting profession training of the officers of Indian Revenue Service (Customs & Central Excise). It has been imparting in-service training to the officers of Government of India across several departments in the field of Customs, Central Excise, Service Tax, Drug Laws, Anti-Money laundering, Weapons of Mass Destruction, Fake Indian Currency Notes, Ozone Depleting Substance (ODS), Intellectual Property Right (IPR) etc.
National Academy of Customs, Indirect Taxes & Narcotics (NACIN) is the premier training institute of Government of India. It is under the administrative control of the Central Board of Excise & Customs (CBEC), Department of Revenue, Ministry of Finance, Government of India.
NACIN is headed by a Director General, who is assisted by Additional Director Generals, Additional Directors, Deputy Directors and Assistant Directors. Director General, NACIN is a very senior civil servant of India, belonging to the India Revenue Service who is of the rank of Additional Secretary to Government of India.
To create an institution of excellence where people can achieve full potential in their academic, creative, personal, physical, moral and spiritual development.
Progress through Excellence and to meet the highest degree of requirements of the Department through Human Resource Development and to contribute in strengthening of the Nation.
NACIN: An Idea
NACIN is significantly more than what meets the eye. Behind NACIN, the institution operates another NACIN as a set of powerful ideals. The purpose of the academy is not to fill the minds of young officers with an endless accumulation of raw facts but to infuse in them a new dynamic and composite perspective. We believe in the continuous modernisation and restructuring that involves intellectual restructuring as well. The aim is to inculcate:
- Sharp focus: Looking beyond the obvious and the ability to read the fine print that often escapes the less trained and inexperienced eyes.
- Courage: The tendency to act boldly with a deep rooted belief in result oriented action.
- Dynamism: A habit of not accepting things, specially the systems that promote stagnation, apathy and at the worst corruption, unquestioningly.
- Skill up gradation and skill management: Learning, unlearning and relearning along with the changing currents of time.
- Insight and thoroughness: Taking decisions without unnecessary haste or delay, ability to observe comprehensively in one glance. This kind of skill requires an exceptional background of relevant knowledge. NACIN is dedicated to instil such professionalism in Officer Trainees.